This week the spotlight is on an outstanding wedding photographer from Windsor-Essex, Ontario – Michele Bowman Photography – read our interview with her below to learn more.
1. Give us three words that best describe your style of work. ~ photojournalism, story-telling, unscripted
2. Give us one word that describes you. ~ Unique
3. Talk about your approach to wedding photography ~My approach to wedding photography is unscripted. My passion is documenting a wedding day as it unfolds naturally, full of true emotion and real events. I don’t recreate moments for the sake of a photo, I do my best to find beauty in everyday things, and I love being able to experience such an intimate and important moment in someone’s life. It’s a honour to be a part of every wedding day.
4. What do you love most about what you do? ~ What I love the most about being a wedding photographer is that I get to document such joy, love and raw emotions that come out on wedding days. It’s also a fast-paced and crazy time, and for some reason I adore that kind of unpredictable environment.
5. What do you love most about the wedding industry? ~ What I’ve enjoyed the most being part of the wedding industry is the friendships I’ve formed with other vendors. I am so thankful for all the people that I’ve met along the way and the adventures I’ve had.
6. What combination of the day brings out the best in your work? ~ My favourite part of a wedding day is anytime that I’m documenting real and true moments between family and friends. I guess the ‘getting ready’ time is the most emotionally charged and I always love the insanity and chaos associated with it, but there is beauty in every part of the day, and it’s my job to find it, whether it’s a small glance between lovers, a mom’s tears, or laughter that comes with being around the people you love most in the world.
7. What is the consultation process like with you? ~ My consultation process is pretty simple. I love to get to know my clients before the wedding, so I’m always happy to meet in person or over the phone so that we can talk more about the big day. We talk about details, wedding dresses and plans for photography locations, and I just love hearing a couple’s excitement as they speak about their wedding day. Once it gets closer to the wedding, I have my clients fill out a worksheet to fill me in about all the little details of the day, and then we meet up again to put together a final itinerary. The better I get to know my clients beforehand, the more they can trust me and be themselves in front of me come their wedding day, which means a lot to me.
8. What inspires you? ~ I am inspired by many things when it comes to my work, but I do find myself inspired by other photographers (wedding or not). I also find that I’m inspired by human nature and love itself, since everyone has a story to tell, but I just need to find a way to tell it honestly and truthfully.